Goodbye, 2020

 

Courtesy: Time

Holocaust:~11 million deaths(outlier because well it went on for more than 5 years in times of war)

Iraq war:~600,000 deaths

Al Qaeda at its height:~800,000 deaths

COVID-19 Pandemic:~1.7 million deaths

Seems pretty right that you were "rewarded" with a red cross, 2020.

As we all wave goodbye to you, during your last 2 days of existence, let me deliver your "eulogy" of sorts:

Thank you for coming to this part of the Internet to celebrate the life and, why not say it, death of 2020. I remember her childhood, January when we all were filled with hopes of a great new decade. I wanted to make this year the most cherished year of my childhood, my junior year in high school and sweet 16!

None could have thought what happened to her two months down the line, the most cherished months of spring, even though humanity's medicine had progressed since we last left her relatives, a 100 years ago. She, one of the chosen leap years, would've hosted the Summer Olympics, and my experiences at summer camps and me finally getting to make a decision on my career

Yet, history repeated itself, and the world found itself in a pandemic nobody knew about outside of a country with limited freedom of speech. I couldn't believe it when she took away my dreams and shifted the dates of competitive exams. She became for us, the pure manifestation of hopelessness and despair. She caused me to think deeply about life death and the future of human existence when I heard about the death of a friend. She brought me to the brink of mental depression until I talked to some people around me

Yet, I couldn't hide how much 2020 has given me. 2020 shattered my worldview and forced me to rebuild it. She forced me to accept that we can't have everything under our control at all times. She may be evil but it wasn't all because of her own actions. 2020, you have left us wondering about bringing the "old times" for at least two of the next years. But you have given all of us humans a much more informed and matured worldview. Tomorrow may be your last day, as we celebrate New Year's eve and your demise, but you will be remembered for the next several generations of researchers and policymakers and to us, humans, socially distanced, but emotionally together.


Alvida, Alvida, Alvida.

Comments

  1. You have filled this up with a lot of emotions and as usual, your write ups are amazing..:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work dude! Keep going with your marvellous creations and bye bye 2020!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

I found out something beautiful

I love people/I hate people

"Hello World"